The Fort William Family Health Team is a collaborative, interdisciplinary team of health care providers including family physicians, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, social workers and a registered dietitian.
We are currently looking to fill the following positions:
Social Worker – 1.0 FTE
- Support and enhance the role of the FWFHT family practice physicians and other providers in the provision of health care to patients.
- Provide assessment and short-term individual, family or group counselling.
- Refer patients to suitable community resources.
- Develop/deliver group programs.
- Degree in Social Work – Master’s preferred
- Membership with OCSWSSW, in good standing
- Minimum 3 years related experience
For more information and a detailed job description, please visit www.fortwilliamfhn.ca
If interested please submit a resume and cover letter prior to 4:00pm Friday, February 9, 2018 to:
Fort William Family Health Team
1260 Golf Links Road, Suite 201
Thunder Bay, ON P7B 0A1
Attention: S. Houston, Administrative Assistant
Electronic submissions will also be accepted. Please direct to email@example.com
We welcome all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
POSITION (TITLE): Social Worker
Reports to: Executive Director
Working collaboratively with and reporting to the Executive Director, the social worker will deliver services to clients of the Fort William Family Health Team by providing counselling and other therapeutic functions for individuals, couples, and families attending the clinic. The Social Worker functions collaboratively within an interdisciplinary team and strives to enhance the capacity of clients to address their own needs. The social worker will support expertise and knowledge of health promotion, disease prevention, and chronic disease management across a client’s lifespan.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Represent the Fort William Family Health Team in a manner which promotes the mission and values of the organization.
- Counsel and make appropriate referrals for individuals, couples and families attending the clinic.
- Conduct screenings and assessments in areas of professional expertise related to health promotion, disease prevention and chronic disease management across the client’s lifespan.
- Assist and where necessary, support client access to services in the above listed areas of focus.
- Work collaboratively with the individual/community, other professionals, and agencies to advocate for social change.
- Take preventive and/or corrective action to protect individuals from unsafe or unethical circumstances.
- Make recommendations regarding services and referrals in conjunction with the client’s interests, the Social Worker’s judgment and knowledge, appropriate legislation and the family health team’s policies and procedures.
- Inform clients of foreseeable risks as well as rights, opportunities and obligations.
- Assist and refers families in the completion of necessary forms (e.g. Ontario Works, ODSP, housing and child care).
- Seek out resources and programs.
- Practice in accordance with legislation relevant to social work practice.
- Establish and maintains clear and appropriate boundaries in professional relationships.
- Mentor students and novice practitioners as appropriate.
- Participate in research and professional activities.
- Utilize available resources to systematically evaluate the availability, acceptability, quality, efficiency and effectiveness of social work practices.
- Establish and maintains liaisons with relevant community groups, agencies, and individuals.
- Ensure accuracy, confidentiality and safekeeping of agency records.
- Maintain record of appropriate statistics and participates in their analysis.
- Maintain professional competence by participation in professional developmental programs and by individual self-directed study.
- Attend and participate in clinic, interagency and professional team meetings.
- Adhere to the confidentiality policy, relevant legislation and all other policies and procedures of the Fort William Family Health Team.
- Participate in chart reviews and discussion of problem cases.
- Work with members of health team to plan and evaluate programs.
- Develop and maintain respectful, cooperative working relationships to contribute to the integrated, seamless delivery of services.
- Assist in creating linkages and liaison with community partners such as Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre and the Thunder Bay District Health Unit.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, QUALIFICATIONS, AND SKILLS:
- Masters degree in Social Work
- Registration with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers
- 3-5 years work experience
- Excellent inter-personal, communication and decision-making, clinical skills
- Demonstrated ability to teach, counsel and develop written educational materials
- Ability to set priorities and manage time effectively
- Ability to speak an additional language is an asset
- Current CPR and First Aid certificate
- Computer and word processing skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of a multi-disciplinary health services team
ADDITIONAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Satisfactory criminal records search including vulnerable sector screening.
- Ability to work flexible hours and travel as determined by the Executive Director in relation to service requirements.
- Must possess a Class “G” Driver’s License and have access to a personal vehicle
OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFETY:
- Follows all policies and procedures to ensure personal safety and safety of others.
- Reports any equipment or safety problems to supervisor.
- Attends training and complies with WHIMIS.